29 January 2012

Love Remains


"At that time many will falter, and betray and despise each other, and false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of many will grow cold, but those who stand firm to the end will be saved. And the gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." Matt 24:10-14

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong, a clanging cymbal.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all the mysteries and knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gather together nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish things behind me.

Now we see as in a glass, darkly; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

1 Cor. 13

Many come here seeking ways to increase and protect their material wealth, and the well being of themselves and their families. And this is a worthy effort.

But not all remember to preserve something so much more important and precious -- themselves.

They do the right things, but then may go too far, falling into greed and lawless expediency, and win the battle, but lose the war, to a much cleverer, patient, and opportunistic foe.

For truly, what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world, but lose themselves.