04 November 2010

Sprott Adds 6.5 Million Ounces of Silver to Its Trust at Approximately 25.82 Per Ounce



It is my understanding that the Sprott Trust 'books' the silver when it makes the deal to acquire it, but the actual silver will not be obtained and delivered to their vaults for some weeks as the market gathers the bullion together and ships it to them.

This was a very large purchase, and it will be interesting to see if we can determine where it is coming from as inventories draw down. Many analysts watch the reports from the Comex each day for example, and how the various levels of supply fluctuate. Then again, in this paper driven world of fractional reserve inventories at the LBMA and the unallocated accounts of certain holdings it may not show up at all, at least for now. The paper game is pervasive.

Our estimate based on the available data is that they purchased 6.5 million ounces of silver at an average price of 25.82 US dollars per ounce. This is a 1.2% premium over today's spot price of 25.51, and a much larger premium over yesterday's paper prices that went as low as 24.10 intraday.

It is interesting that even on very large purchases it appears there is a premium to be paid to acquire actual unemcumbered bullion versus fractional reserve paper claims. Handling charges? lol.

Some might consider the price that Sprott paid to be a 'leading indicator' of where silver will be going. I think when the paper Ponzi scheme actually collapses silver will be much higher than that. After all, "he who sells what isn't his'n must buy it back or go to prison." Unless, that is, they are running the game. Then they just pay a fine and admit no guilt.

By the way, I have heard that it was J Aron (Goldman) leading the bear raid on gold with a 'monster short' in the futures pits yesterday. I wonder who they were acting for and whose money they lost? The CFTC could always pull the tickets and inquire, but it might very well be one of their colleagues down the street. As you may have heard, it is said that Goldman itself is accumulating bullion. I have heard of this for quite some time, and you may recall that I said when the time is right a big player like the squid will slither out of their lair and strangle the metals shorts,  and perhaps ruthlessly so.

As an aside, I get a few 'sour grapes' emails almost every day out of the many hundreds I receive. I try to read and respond to each one, with a few exceptions for the spam filter. Some think I am too liberal, some think I am too conservative. Some think I am even guilty of the crime of being French! I am not but would gladly claim that prize. If you can offer me dual citizenship please do. lol. Some believe I speak about spiritual matters too much, or mention personal matters even obliquely, or don't invite them to my restaurant for 'free meals when they are in town.' Sometimes the self-centered and self-righteous indignation is remarkably funny. How dare anyone exist who does not do so for their personal and immediate convenience! Well, we see these types on the highway almost every day, so I imagine they must be on the internet as well.

But by far the greatest complaint I am getting is that I "write about gold and silver too much."

I write about the things that I love and that interest me: good food, good people, beautiful ideas and things, the vagaries of human nature, the Spirit.

I can think of no more interesting or important phenomenon than the decline and replacement of the US dollar as the world's reserve currency. And if you are in any way influenced or affected by the world of money, believe me when I say that it is of importance to you as well. And there is no more certain sign right now of what is happening than the bull market in gold and silver, and certain other commodities.

It is time to get your affairs in order. There are times ahead that will try men's souls.