29 February 2012

But If Not...





November 1967



April 1967




April 3, 1968, the day before he was murdered for speaking truth to power.


A time comes, for every one of us, all children of God, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, and Christian alike, and all who love God and hear these words, when we must choose. We will choose to bear the mark of the dark powers and principalities of this world, or we will refuse, and bind ourselves to the one God in heaven. It may be hard on some, easier on others. But we will all make that decision, and carry the mark of that choice with us forever.

That choice is not made once, but is forged with every action, every day, on our hearts.  So when the final choice is made, we will choose by whom we have served.   And keep in mind that although God is loving, He is also just. And there are sins against the Spirit that even a merciful God will not forgive.

So when you consider your actions, ask yourself, 'Is this God's will? Does it stand in the light of God's witness, His mercy and love? Am I listening to His Messenger, His Word, His Law, and serving the one God, or another, or myself?'

But God reserves justice, and vengeance, and wrath for Himself, and His command for us is simple: 'Thou shalt love the Lord your God, with your whole heart, and your whole mind, and you shall love your neighbor as yourself.'



Someone told me that in Germany these days, no one really knows or cares about Sophie Scholl, and the White Rose Society.

I know. I remember. And I care. And in doing so I save myself, je me souviens.

And if I ever meet her and the others like her, who gave themselves up for what is good, who became beacons of light for us in the long, dark hallways of history, I hope I can say, "I did not forget you."