25 June 2010

Why Are the Miners Underperforming The Metal?


Occasionally a reader asks, "Why are the miners lagging the performance of gold?"

My standard reply is that the mining stocks are both stocks and a store and source of the underlying bullion which is the basis of their business.

Past regression analysis which I had done a few years ago indicated that it was about a 50 - 50 split. Over time, an 'average' mining company will correlate roughly 50% to the SP 500 and 50% to the metal which is its predominant business. The lags due to anticipation and expectations are taken care of in the size your sample.

Just to do a quick check, since these things do sometimes change over time, I ran a quick comparison of the GDX Mining Index, GLD as a proxy for gold, and the SP 500.

I think the results since mid 2008 shown below seem to indicate that the miners, on average, are still a rough split between a stock and a store of wealth, with bullion exerting a bit more pull than in the past. This is probably an effect of the underperformance of the financials, and their heavy influence in the SP index. I would caution against using this in place of a genuine regression analysis. But its close enough to make the point that the mining stocks are, to some significant degree, a stock.



Note: Please read what I have said before snapping off a quick comment objecting to it on the basis of the stellar performance of your favorite junior or senior mining company.

I have done very excruciatingly details multivariate regression analysis of the price of bullion itself. and have published the results in the past on my 'old site' the Crossroads Cafe. That correlation does change. Perhaps I will find the time to take out the big spreadsheets and run them again.