18 March 2019

Stocks and Precious Metals Charts - Una Furtiva Lagrima - FOMC on Wednesday


“There are so many ways of escaping from that which one fears, and not the least of these is hatred.”

Philip Kerr, Berlin Noir


“We have been silent witnesses of evil deeds; we have been drenched by many storms; we have learnt the arts of equivocation and pretence; experience has made us suspicious of others and kept us from being truthful and open; intolerable conflicts have worn us down and even made us cynical.  

Are we still of any use?  What we shall need is not geniuses, or cynics, or misanthropes, or clever tacticians, but plain, honest, and straightforward men.  Will our inward power of resistance be strong enough, and our honesty with ourselves remorseless enough, for us to find our way back to simplicity and straightforwardness?”

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Letters and Papers from Prison

Stocks were able to grind higher led by the SP 500 futures.

Tech was looking a bit overdone.

The Dollar drifted a bit lower, with gold and silver holding their own with a small gain.

The FOMC will be meeting this week. It is highly unlikely that they will actually do anything with rates, but watch for their wording on Wedgnesday.

A dovish lean could cause some movement in gold and the Dollar, and maybe in stocks, all things being equal.

Today was a great day for working outside, and that is what I did for the better part of it.

Have a pleasant evening.




If memory serves the queen and I saw Pavarotti perform this at The Met, many years ago.

L'elisir d'amore: Una furtiva lagrima
(English translation)

Softly a furtive teardrop fell,
shadowed her sparkling eyes;
Seeing the others follow me
has caused her jealous sighs.

What is there more to prize?
What more than this could I prize?
Sighing, she loves me,
I saw that she loves me.

Could I but feel her heart on mine,
breathing that tender sigh!
Could my own sighing comfort her,
and whisper in sweet reply!
Her heart on mine, as heart to heart we sigh.
So tenderly we'd share a sweet reply!

Heaven, I then could die;
no more I'd ask you, I'd ask you,
ah! heaven, I, then, I then could die;
no more I'd ask you, I'd ask you.
I then could die, I then could die of love.