23 February 2020

Sunday Evening - Lead Kindly Light


Lead, kindly Light, amidst the grey and gloom
The night is long and I am far from home
Here in the dark, I do not ask to see
The path ahead— one step enough for me
Lead on, lead on, kindly Light.

I was not ever willing to be led
I could have stayed, but I ran instead
In spite of fear, I followed my pride
My eyes could see, but my heart was blind
Lead on, lead on, kindly Light.

And in the night, when i was afraid
Your feet beside my own on the way
Each stumbling step where other men have trod
Shortens the road leading home to my God,

Lead on, lead on,
My God, My God,
Lead on, lead on, kindly Light.

Audrey Assad, based on The Pillar of the Cloud by J. H. Newman

The world and its servants do not love you.  Far from it.

They lie to you, and seek to cheat you, and enslave you, first by hate, and then by fear.

Remember who you are, what light you follow, and to whom it is that you belong, always.
“May He support us all the day long, till the shades lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done.

Then in His mercy may He give us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last."

J. H. Newman