25 November 2021

Thanksgiving Day - Repentance, Forgiveness, Thankfulness

 

"Show me your ways, O Lord, and teach me your paths.   Lead me in your truth, and teach me: for you are the God of my salvation; and I wait for you all the day.   Remember, O Lord, your tender mercies and loving kindness, as they have ever been of old." 

Psalm 25:4-6 

 

"Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I will say, rejoice; show patience and consideration to all, for the Lord is always near.  Let nothing make you anxious; but with prayer, and by supplication, and with thanksgiving, let your needs be made known unto God; and the peace of the Lord, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds, in Christ Jesus." 

Philippians 4:4-7 

 

“God has created me to do Him some definite service. He has committed some work to me which He has not committed to another.  I have my mission. I may never know it in this life, but I shall be told it in the next.  I am a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons.  He has not created me for naught.  I shall do good; I shall do His work. I shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in my own place, while not intending it if I do but keep His commandments.  

Therefore, I will trust Him, whatever I am, I can never be thrown away.  If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him, in perplexity, my perplexity may serve Him.  If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him. He does nothing in vain. He knows what He is about.  He may take away my friends. He may throw me among strangers.   He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide my future from me. Still, He knows what He is about.” 

John Henry Newman 

 

"Rejoice in the Lord always; and again I say, rejoice. Let your gentleness and consideration be known to all, for the Lord is always near. Do not be anxious about anything. But with prayer, and by supplication, and with thanksgiving, let your needs be made known unto God. And the peace of the Lord, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds, in Christ Jesus." 

Philippians 4:4-7 

 

"Remember us, O Lord, in thy loving kindness and tender mercies, as ever they have been from old." 

Psalm 25:6 

 

Remember to feed the least of His creatures, the birds and animals.  And bring comfort and fellowship to the hearts of those you meet, with a kind word and a smile.  Each of us has our own burdens and troubles to carry. 

And it is our duty and joy to lessen the troubles of others, out of gratitude for His love of the unworthy, of us.  I remember all of you in my thoughts and prayers, as always, my brothers and sisters in the Lord. 

And I give thanks for you and your goodness. 

Let us commend ourselves to His merciful forgiveness, and trust our futures to His loving kindness and tender mercy.  Let us permit ourselves to be fashioned to His will, not for His sake, but for ours. 

Be kind to those who are around your table today, even those who may be 'difficult.' 

And pray for His mercy and enlightenment, if that difficult one is you. 

Do not wait for God to show you the consequences of your sinfulness and pride. 

Need little - Want less - Love more. 

For those who abide in love abide in God, and God in them.